The Italy’s most loved cold dish is the vitello tonnato and is a party plate. This is the most celebrated cold dish and originates in Piedmont from north of Italy. It is the favorite dish of every family and is prepared on special occasions and celebrations, especially during Christmas.
Vitello tonnato has a unique flavour. In combination with tuna and veal, it certainly is the best that has the sea and land working together. The sauce is tuna sauce and carries the flavor and has the addition of lemon juice and capers offering a balance of acidity and salt.
- Take poached veal, in a wide casserole heat olive oil over high heat, so that the veal is brow in 5 minutes time and remove it and keep it aside.
- Add celery, carrot, onion, spices and anchovies to the pan and cook.
- Put veal into the pan and deglaze with vinegar and white vine, add bay leaves and sufficient water.
- Boil and simmer in low heat, turn the veal occasionally and get it cooked pink. It will be firm and so press. Remove the meat and set to cool.
- Simmer the high heat and strain the liquid and set to cool.
- Slice veal thin, set aside.
- Spread tuna sauce, arrange a veal slice and spoon sauce covering it and place lemon segments, capers and drizzle with virgin olive oil.