Peking duck is a well-known traditional classic dish of Hong Kong, which was originally prepared mostly for emperors of the imperial era. It takes pretty long time to prepare this dish, and this is the reason why the item is so special, and also impressive.
In order to prepare Peking duck out of canards du Lac Brome which means in English Brome Lake ducks, no special skill is needed, but your guests may assume that you are a culinary master. Duck meat contains very high fat, which is less saturated fat as compared to butter, and therefore it can in fact lower your cholesterol due to presence of high levels of mono-unsaturated fat, which is considered as the healthiest fat of animal that you can eat.
How to prepare Peking duck
Following are the ingredients used for Peking duck:
- one organic large duck, dried, washed, and trimmed of extra fat
- Black pepper
- Sea salt
- Five spice powder
- One bunch of scallions, white and green parts which is shredded for serving
- Fresh grated ginger
- Miso hoisin sauce
- One large cucumber which is cut into matchsticks
- Preheat the oven to 325ᵒC.
- Season your duck which is prepared liberally by using sea salt, after that dust over the 5-spice powder as well as black pepper on various sides, in the cavity. Over the duck breast, rub fresh ginger, then add little extra ginger for flavor.
- Now place the duck in the roasting pan keeping the breast side upwards, then transfer it to your preheated oven.
- Now you can roast it for one hour by keeping the breast side upwards. Rotate the duck again so that breast side is down, then roast for an hour. Now flip the duck again and then ramp up the oven temperature to 400ᵒC and broil the whole duck till the breast skin becomes crispy and the color becomes golden brown. It may take around 8 to 10 more minutes.
- Now take out the crispy duck from the oven and then allow it to cool for another 15 minutes. Now, cut the whole duck into many portions, and then share the whole meat to all your guest.
Now you can serve the Peking duck that you prepared along with simple cabbage slaw. In this way, you can give a healthy twist while serving this very impressive as well as delicious classic dish of Hong Kong.